Starting in 2020, the world was shocked by the discovery of new diseases originating from Wuhan, China, and began to spread to neighboring countries. The spread of the corona virus is growing rapidly and makes the World Health Organization (WHO) appeal to Asian countries, including Indonesia, to always be vigilant.
This disease is caused by a new type of coronavirus called the 2019-nCoV virus. According to the latest data obtained by WHO, this disease has caused casualties, while dozens of others infected are still under surveillance and intensive care.
Here are some facts related to this new disease:
- The 2019-nCoV virus was identified on January 7, 2020, about a week after the first case appeared in the city of Wuhan, China.
- The 2019-nCoV virus belongs to the same virus group as the virus that causes severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and Middle-East respiratory syndrome (MERS).
- Some Thais and Japanese are reported to have been infected with the 2019-nCoV virus.
- The exact origin and method of transmission of the 2019-nCoV virus is unknown. However, this virus is thought to originate from animals and can be transmitted between humans.
- No method or drug has been found as a specific management program to deal with this condition.
Responding to this situation, the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Indonesia has tightened RI’s entry routes, such as airports and ports. The government is calling on airports and ports to carry out a body temperature scan on each passenger, especially for those who come from affected countries.
Recognize the Symptoms
Corona virus attacks the human respiratory tract. Therefore, people who are infected with Corona virus can experience symptoms that are similar to the flu. Even so, the initial symptoms of this mysterious disease are similar to SARS and MERS, which are fever and coughing. Some sufferers also reported experiencing shortness of breath, accompanied by the formation of fluids and infiltrates in the lungs.
In some cases, patients even experience liver failure and kidney failure. Even so, to date, no specific symptoms have been found that can be used as a reference to identify this disease.
SARS and MERS are both conditions characterized by serious infections of the respiratory tract. Both of these diseases have spread throughout the world and cause tremendous fear.
In 2002-2003, there were at least 774 people who died from SARS. While WHO records in 2019, stated that more than 800 people died due to suffering from MERS.
Although caused by viruses of the same class, the 2019-nCoV virus infection is not expected to spread and cause death as quickly as SARS and MERS.
If you experience symptoms, have risk factors, or have recently traveled to a country infected with Corona virus, such as China, South Korea, or Italy, you can try to detect your risk by clicking the image below.
Nevertheless, everyone is still encouraged to make prevention efforts and immediately consult a doctor. However, this mysterious condition can be fatal if not treated quickly and appropriately.
Prevent Corona Virus from Spreading Now
WHO recommends that each country implement a ban on tourism or trade in China. This action is done to prevent the spread of the corona virus from growing worse.
Although there have been no reports of transmission of the 2019-nCoV virus in Indonesia, it is important for everyone to take various preventative steps to avoid infection with this virus.
The steps in question include:
- Wash your hands regularly with soap before and after the move.
- Eat a balanced nutritious food and make sure the food you consume is cooked until it is fully cooked.
- Strengthen the immune system by drinking plenty of water, exercising regularly, and getting enough rest.
- Use a mask when on the move, especially when outside the room or public facilities.
- Avoid insect bites by applying anti-buffer lotion or using closed clothing.
- Perform healthy sex, such as using a condom when having sex and being loyal to one partner.
- Limit direct contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid traveling to places that have the potential to become a virus spread location.
- Perform routine health checks to the doctor.
Until now, research is still being done to find out the source, spread, and how to treat the 2019-nCoV virus infection. In the interim, some of the steps above can be applied to protect yourself from the risk of being infected with this corona virus.